Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 4 - Tortugas

Why hello!
Today I switched professors. Please hold your gasp, it is not like America. You are not stuck with one professor or class because it is who you must have. This school is amazing, if the class is too easy/hard or the teacher instructs in a way that is not suitable for your learning style, you can switch!

For me, the teacher was a bit too easy and I wanted more of a challenge. I realize I am in the middle of paradise but I am here to learn and to hopefully become fluent. Okay, so I know the last one is a bit far fetched but my goal is to become a few steps closer to that by the end of my stay.
This brings me to another point..location. Although I absolutely LOVE my roommate, living on campus and wifi internet, I am thinking of switching to a homestay. I feel living in a homestay would force me to speak Spanish more. LIke most things in life, what you put into something will determine what you get out of it..and I want to get a lot out of this experience.

Okay I'll stop blabbing on, now onto my evening of tortugas (turtles.)

After a two hour bus ride which included practically driving through mini-rivers, we arrived in the pouring rain. Helpful bit of advice, don't wear jeans when it is raining. Also...know ahead of time if you will be here during the rainy season.

These turtles were pretty cool but I must say the journey of walking to them and returning was well... an adventure! Crossing the water, which was up to my knees, walking on the beach in the dark trying to avoid rocks, tree branches and turtles was interesting. The return was even more exciting when the water rose another couple feet and was a lot stronger than I expected.

The picture is the drenched us. Mellisa, Myself and Stephanie!

Okay, back to the turtles. Did you know they lay about 170 eggs at one time? So, I tried uploading a movie, twice, and then a second picture...all with no luck. Next time dear friends, next time.


Accomplishment of the day: Asking a tico (Costa Rican native) questions about a subject I know nothing of..and them understanding and replying! :)

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like an adventure def! Too bad the video and other pics didn't upload :( I think it's really cool that you're considering moving to a homestay, if you do I'm sure you'll come back with many fond memories and a more acquired mastery of Spanish. And switching professors because your current one is too easy?! That's sounds like my Jenn! :) You rock! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What He said...

    Ok, gimme a minute to re-read your "day 4".

    So, how often do these turtles lay that many eggs? Seems pretty amazing that you guys were there at just the right time. I did post your short egg laying clip on my FB.

    As for rainy day attire advice, I would add "avoid wearing gauze skirts".

    Great accomplishment for day 4!

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Matt! And guess what? You rock too!!!

    And um, i'm not sure how often. Well, actually we came at the wrong time so there wern't thousands, but we did get to see a few. The thousands come 3 days before and 3 days after a full moon. And thanks for posting it!

    Haha, so true! Granted you pretty much live in your swimsuit..you wear it EVERYWHERE!

    And thanks mom, I love you too! :)

    ReplyDelete